One-Pot Southwest Style Rotini
Cozy & Comforting
Three Farm Daughters
This One-Pot Southwest Rotini is an exciting, nutrient-packed dinner sure to satisfy your cravings for a hearty, flavorful meal. Made with Three Farm Daughters Rotini Pasta, ground lean protein, kidney beans, and a variety of Tex-Mex inspired spices, this dish is perfect for those who love bold fiesta flavors.
It's a triple-whammy of energy-boosting protein, thanks to the addition of lean meat (or a veggie alternative!), plus kidney beans that serve up around 25g of protein. Add an extra 9g of protein in each serving of Three Farm Daughters Rotini Pasta and you'll be feeling fueled up in no time. With its combo of bright veggies, you’re in for a well-rounded balance of protein, fiber, complex carbs, antioxidants, plus essential vitamins and minerals, making it the ultimate feel-good feast.
Of course, you can’t forget the delicious flavors that’ll keep your fork coming back for more: Juicy tomatoes, green chilies, bell pepper, sweet potato and spices give this dish a zesty kick.
As a final fanfare, diced avocado and crushed tortilla strips bring refreshing, crunchy contrast to the rich, bold flavors. And the best part? This one-pot pasta is quick & easy enough for weeknight meals when you need a dose of excitement to power you through the rest of the week! Give it a whirl and discover a new favorite at your place.
- 1 box Three Farm Daughters Rotini Pasta
- 1 lb Ground Protein of choice (Turkey, Chicken, Meatless Plant-Based Alternative, or 80% Lean Beef)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 can of Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 28oz can of diced Fire-Roasted Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 1 cup shucked Corn Kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 Yellow Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 small Sweet Potatoes, peeled & diced into ¼-in cubes (optional)
1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 4 cups Sodium-Reduced Broth (Veggie, Chicken or Beef broth)
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved, to serve
- ¼ cup Tortilla Strips, to serve (optional)
- ½ cup fresh Cilantro, to serve
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble in the ground meat of your choice, either a plant-based alternative, or lean turkey, chicken or beef depending on your preference. Cook until browned and starting to caramelize, about 5-7 minutes, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Add the onion, red bell pepper, sweet potato and garlic to the pot and cook for another 3-5 minutes, until the vegetables are starting to soften.
Next, sprinkle over the chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, to toast the spices and wake up their fragrant flavors.
Add the diced tomatoes, kidney beans, corn kernels, and the box of dry Three Farm Daughters Rotini Pasta to the pot. Stir everything together.
- Pour over the broth, stir the pot, and bring everything to a boil, ensuring all the pasta is submerged in the broth.
- Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let everything simmer for about 18-20 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked through and the liquid has been absorbed.
Give it a stir occasionally during the cook time, and if the pot looks dry or has absorbed all the broth before the pasta and veggies are tender, add a splash of boiling water and continue cooking and stirring until cooked through. Season to taste and adjust the spices if you like it hot!
- To serve, ladle the rotini into bowls and top each with diced avocado, cherry tomatoes and cilantro. For an extra-crunchy treat, pass tortilla strips on the side to crumble over the top.